Monday, March 7, 2011

I'm Wearing Clown Shoes!

Just about a year ago, a new shoe entered the trail running world... the Hoka One One Mafate. This shoe went the opposite direction of the current trend towards "minimalist" shoes.

Minimalist shoes promote the concept of running a "barefoot" technique, which most ultra-runners use by default as it's really the only technique that can be sustained for 20+ hours. However, the Mafate flies in the face of minimalist shoes.



In fact, they are so cushioned, that running downhill is pretty much a party on legs! At the end of the Bear 100 last year, the steep descent into the Bear Lake valley was nothing but punishment, but with these, I'm pretty sure I would have been in a LOT less pain. Obviously, those looking at them on my feet would have experienced some pain, but that's their problem ;)

So, this year, I'll be wearing my clown shoes on the Moab 100! It'll be super easy to pick me out in the photos and videos I'll post from the race, just look for the lime-green clown shoes and that'll be me! As always, donate to The MORE Project Expedition if you can at the link on my blog, and most importantly, stay tuned!

1 comment: